# of openings: 1
FT/Reg & Probation Ranges: CA26 – $2,768 – $3,425 – $4,315
- Bilingual would be an asset
Definition: Under general supervision, manage one or more of the following functional areas: acquisition, adult services, children’s services, Teen Services, Summer Reading Program, cataloging and assist the general public with their informational needs. They may also supervise any volunteers who may assist with activities and/or individuals doing community service at the library.
Essential Functions: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may vary among positions, but may include the following tasks, knowledge, abilities, skills and other characteristics. This list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and not intended to be a comprehensive listing of tasks performed by all positions in the classification.)
- Places orders for library materials and supplies.
- Checks invoices and enters purchasing information in books for inventory purposes.
- Maintains rotating collections of large print materials and Talking Books for the Blind and physically handicapped.
- Selects large print materials for purchase under Librarian’s direction.
- Designs and produces brochures, bibliographies, readers’ advisory bookmarks and handouts.
- Participates in readers advisory services.
- Selection of books and materials for purchase under supervision of the Library director.
- Utilizes review sources, knowledge of literature and professional judgment to make selections.
- Previews materials sent on approval.
- Maintains collection.
- Periodically reviews collection and makes recommendations to Library director for replacement and de-selection.
- Classify and catalog materials.
- Search OCLC database for proper records and uses Dewey Decimal Classification and LC Subject Headings in classifying process.
- Enters data into Biblionix Apollo automation system.
- Assist parents and children in finding materials. Locate materials appropriate for age and grade and/or reading level; make recommendations in subject areas; instruct in use of the online public access catalog.
- Plan and execute programs. Administer Summer Reading Program.
- Conduct tours of the library for school classes, scout troops, etc. May also make classroom visits as needed.
- Supervise use of computers.
- Answer reference questions, as needed.
- Works at circulation desk as needed.
- Assists in cataloging as needed
- Assist other Library Staff as necessary
- Any other duty as necessary for the efficient operation of the department.
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills and Other Characteristics:
- Ability to receive and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work effectively with others and interact pleasantly with general public including children.
- Ability to lift objects up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to file alphabetically and numerically.
- Ability to type.
- Ability to work effectively with elderly.
- Willingness to learn computer skills.
- Willingness to participate in on-the-job training, courses, workshops and travel as deemed necessary.
- Knowledge of the Dewey Decimal Classification and LC Subject Headings.
- Thorough knowledge of literature, authors, illustrators, and publishers.
- Knowledge of OCLC operations.
- Knowledge of Biblionix Apollo automation system.
- Ability to plan and direct activities
- Computer skills.
- Ability to operate all library AV equipment.
- Some travel may be necessary to maintain and update skills and training.
- Possess effective and pleasant interpersonal skills, tact and the ability to communicate clearly.
- Knowledge and experience with reference materials
- Knowledge of purchasing procedures.
- Two (2) years’ experience with Dewey Decimal system.
- Filing and typing skills.
- Two (2) years of general customer service experience.
- Experience with Internet, Windows operating software and Microsoft Office.
- Ability to meet and interact effectively with general public.
- Willingness to participate in on-the-job training courses, workshops and travel.
- Experience working with broad age-range of children in groups and individually.
- Training in literature, classification (Dewey and LC Subject Headings).
- Approved courses in cataloging, children’s literature and reference.
- MLS or MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution
- Ability to move or lift objects weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Must be able to sit up to two hours at one time, and up to four hours total per workday.
- Must be able to crouch and/or kneel for up to 10 times total per workday.
- Must be able to work with arms bent for up to four hours at one time for up to four hours per day.
- Must be able to use arms to push/pull with an estimated force of 5 pounds, up to 5 times total per day.
- Must be able to walk for up to four hours at a time and up to eight hours per day.
- Must be able to use hands and fingers to grasp and manipulate equipment and materials needed to perform essential job duties
- Must be able to coordinate use of hands and eyes in operation of various types of office equipment.
- Carry files, written documents, or office supplies weighing up to 10 pounds up to 30 minutes per day.
- Lift files, written documents, or office supplies weighing up to 10 pounds, up to one hour per day.
- Speak to phone callers and professional staff.
- Listen to phone callers and professional staff.
- Crouch or bend as needed to file information in low file drawers or obtain office supplies from low shelves. Low drawers of shelves may be at floor level or two or three inches above floor level. This is done up to 15 minutes per day.
- Indoor temperature is controlled to maintain comfortable work environment year round.
- Worker primarily works alone with or without explicit directions from supervisor. Worker consults with one other individual or with small groups of individuals, either on the telephone or in person, on a regular basis.
- Noise includes sound of personnel on a personal computer or talking on phone or with professional staff and customers.
Equipment, Tools, and Materials
- Computer terminal
- Computer keyboard
- Computer printer
- Photocopy machine
- Fax machine
- Calculator/adding machine.
- Various forms
- Wide variety of paperwork
- Writing utensils
- Various office supplies.
TO APPLY: https://artesianm.gov/596/Jobs