The Farmington Public Library is looking for a Youth Services Coordinator.
PAY GRADE: L
SALARY RANGE: $45,000 – $65,000 Annually
TYPE OF POSITION: Regular, Full-time
WORK LOCATION: Farmington Public Library
DAYS WORKED: Varies, includes weekends
HOURS WORKED: Varies, includes evenings
APPLICATIONS RECEIVED THROUGH: Friday, September 30, 2022
- Works under the guidance and direction of the Library Director.
- Responsible for a variety of supervisory, managerial and administrative duties in the overall management of the library’s youth services department.
- Plans, organizes and assigns staff workloads; trains, motivates and evaluates assigned staff; reviews progress and directs changes as needed.
- Implements coaching and mentoring methods using available training and development resources to inspire staff and improve library services.
- Responsible for providing excellent customer service to library patrons, staff and management team by building positive relationships, leading by example, making sound decisions, following through on commitments, and providing consistent leadership in solving problems.
- Responsible for maintaining knowledge of current library best practices for all areas in youth services, including outreach services.
- Participates in the library’s annual budget process; monitors and tracks expenditures in coordination with the administrative team to insure cost efficient use of funds.
- Manages and meets the library’s collection standards and needs of the community for youth library materials.
- Plans and creates engaging youth library programs to meet the library’s overall goals, closely working with the library’s Program Coordinator.
- Participates in the coordinating and development of marketing materials for promoting library materials, programs, and services.
- Cultivates and maintains professional relationships with program presenters, storytellers and authors.
- Participates as an active member of the library’s core management team.
- Coordinates with the core team members in support of the library’s overall goals, maintaining excellent professional working relationships with all staff members.
- Cultivates and maintains excellent working relationships with educators in the regional school districts and other youth-oriented service organizations.
- Assists in formulating library policies and standards. Interprets goals, objective and policies of the library and library patrons.
- Attends professional meetings, maintains memberships in the professional library associations and participates in their activities to keep informed of current trends and developments affecting libraries.
- May make recommendations and assist with cataloging materials according to accepted standards.
- May serve as a member of employee committees, as assigned.
- May represent the library on various community or professional bodies, as assigned.
- The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- This position is subject to the City of Farmington’s Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace Policy.
Valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record for the past three years.
- MLS or Librarian II and three (3) years of increasingly responsible experience as a Children’s and/or Youth Services Librarian, with demonstrated knowledge of successful planning, implementation and coordination of innovative programs.
- Knowledge of current and emerging technologies.
- Knowledge of children’s and young adult’s literature and collection development methods.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices in public library management systems and affiliated programs.
- Proficient in current principles and practices in the supervision and management of employees, and organizational management to effectively supervise and motivate library staff.
- Experience working with planning and presenting programs for children and young adults, and excellent community relation skills required.
- Successful implementation of outreach efforts with community organizations, youth agencies, and schools required.
- Must have excellent interpersonal communication and writing skills, develop and maintain positive relationships with library customers.
- Must be service oriented and have the ability to organize and meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate courteously and effectively with the public on all age levels, abilities, and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, other City personnel and the public.
- Ability to follow verbal and or written instructions.
- Ability to work under stress and handle stressful situations.
- Ability to operate tools and equipment listed.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- May be required to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends, and occasionally drive within or outside of the county to perform job duties.
- The noise level in the work environment is generally quiet.