For more information, and to apply click here.
Located in Southeastern New Mexico, Roswell is a city full of mystery and wonder. Much more than just the site of a very famous intergalactic event, Roswell has been twice named an All American City. Roswell is a charming community its industries range from agriculture to aviation. It is home to the largest mozzarella cheese factories in the world.
The vision of the Roswell Public Library is an educated, connective community of readers, learners, doers and dreamers.
Our mission is to transform lives by educating, inspiring, and connecting people.
CITY OF ROSWELL
Equal Opportunity Employer
Roswell Public Library
Outreach and Reference
|Date Open:||April 11, 2019||Schedule:||Status:||Type:||Grade:|
|Date Closed:||Until filled||8AM to 5PM M-F||Non-Exempt, Hourly||Regular Full Time||44|
SUMMARY: Under general supervision, performs outreach and reference duties at the Roswell Public Library (RPL), including responsibility for maintaining library outreach collection, outreach programs and services as well as reference and reading advisory. This work includes the professional work in collection development, programing, reference and reading advisory within and outside of the Library. Work is performed in accordance with established library procedures and policy. Scheduling flexibility is imperative as it varies depending on the needs of the Library. This position involves some supervisory responsibility of volunteers, and paraprofessional.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: — Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below; reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs outreach duties, using knowledge of library policies and procedures, and experience with public library programs and services; work is performed according to RPL policies and procedures; duties will vary according to job assignment.
- Answer reference and reading advisory questions through use of standard reference tools.
- Maintains outreach collection by weeding, marketing, recommendation for purchase, and merchandising materials.
- Trouble-shoots library outreach computers and reports unresolved problems through proper channels.
- Provides assistance and customer service in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Assists patrons and responds to requests, using knowledge of library policies and procedures.
- Plans, implements and assists with development, preparation, and presentation of library programs, activities, and special events to meet the informational, educational, and recreational needs of people of all ages.
- Assists with library security; checks to assure patrons comply with policies and procedures.
- Compiles operational information and develops summary reports.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Roswell and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines:
Master’s Degree in Library Science from an American Library Associated accredited school OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- City policies and procedures.
- Regulations and standards governing public library operations.
- Public library programs, standards, principles, policies, and procedures.
- Library reference and reading advisory sources and methods.
- Child and youth development.
- Basic computer functions.
- Safety rules and regulations, occupational hazards, and safety precautions in public facilities and vehicles.
- Delivering quality library programs and services to the community.
- Assisting with library programs and policies.
- Maintenance of library collections.
- Providing reference and reading advisory to all ages.
- Interacting with people of different social, economic, ethnic backgrounds and all ages including seniors, adults, teens, and children
- Operating a personal computer and specialized software.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers and local agencies.
- Effective verbal and written communication.
- Ability to acquire a thorough knowledge of department activities.
Desirable Special Qualifications:
- Masters in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited school.
- Experience in Library Programs for children, youth, adults and seniors.
- Experience in reference and reading advisory.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
New Mexico Commercial Driver’s License
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed in a standard office and public library environment as well as in a bookmobile and outside.
In consideration of the overall amount of physical effort required to perform this position, the work is best described as:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and or negligible amount of force constantly to more objects.
Medium work; Exerting up to 45 pounds of force occasionally, and up /or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and /or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Physical demands that may be required continuously (2/3 or more of the time), frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of the time), and occasionally (up to 1/3 of the time are noted below:
Continuous demands: repetitive movements of hands, wrists and fingers,
Frequent demands: fine dexterity, standing, sitting, lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling up to 10 lbs. of force and handling of materials.
Occasional demands: Walking, lifting, carrying, pushing, or pulling between 10 to 45 lbs. of force, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling twisting bending and reaching.
Sensory requirements necessary in the performance of the essential functions of this position include, sight, hearing and touch.
Environmental condition that may exist in the performance of the essential functions of this job include, the majority of the workday is spent indoors.
Work assignments also require some the workday spent outdoors where there may be:
Cold and heat,
Noise (need to shout in order to be heard),
Vibration (exposer to oscillating movements of the extremities of the whole body),
Exposure to dust/gas/fumes/steam/chemicals.
- Must be able to pass a rigid background investigation including work history, criminal records, driving records and other records deemed necessary.
- Pre-employment drug screen administrated by city designated facility
- Obtain a New Mexico Commercial Driver License