The New Mexico Museum of Art, with support from an New Mexico Historical Records Advisory Board grant, seeks a part-time contract archivist to process a backlog of archival collections.
Responsibilities will include:
- Survey, arrange, and describe 26 linear feet of unprocessed archival materials
- Review an additional 9 linear feet of semi-processed materials
- Perform rehousing and basic preservation work
- Create archival finding aids consistent with DACS/EAD standards
Processing and review of materials and collections will be done under the supervision of the museum’s Librarian and Information Specialist. All work will take place on-site at NMMOA beginning in December 2021. The contract archivist will be asked to work 20 hours per week for a total of ten weeks (total compensation $4000). Due to the detailed and intensive nature of archival processing, working more hours for a shorter period of time will allow her/him to carry out this project in the most efficient and effective manner.
This project will ensure the preservation of and access to NMMOA’s vibrant archival collection through proper arrangement, description, housing, and treatment of all historical materials.
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science, Archival Administration, or Museum Studies or engagement in current program of study
- One or more years of experience surveying, arranging, and describing archival collections
- Knowledge of archival content standards and best practices in handling and preservation of archival material
- Proficiency with MS Excel
- Advanced organizational and analytical skills and excellent attention to detail
For best consideration, email Abby Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org) on or before November, 17 2021. Please attach a resume and cover letter and use the subject line: MOA Contract Archivist: [Your Last Name]