Through my time as the Acting State Librarian, I have had the privilege of traveling to all corners of New Mexico to talk about your successes, your challenges, and how we can better serve you. One concern that repeatedly comes up is how to deal with problem patrons and security issues. From the field, we’ve heard you and would like to provide some guidance. I encourage you all to review these materials and distribute them to your staffs.
- The Black Belt Librarian: Real World Safety & Security (book)
- AL Live: Library Security (video produced by ALA, runtime: 1 hour)
- Library Safety and Security (Public Library PowerPoint)
- “Home to the Homeless” (American Libraries Magazine article)
- Poor and/or Homeless Library Patrons (ALA website)
As libraries become more and more like social service centers, we will need to continue monitoring how we serve and treat all patrons while maintaining safe facilities. I hope these materials are helpful.
Deputy Cabinet Secretary
Acting State Librarian
Department of Cultural Affairs