University of New Mexico College of University Libraries & Learning Sciences
First Year Experience Librarian
The University of New Mexico College of University Libraries & Learning Sciences (UL&LS) seeks a service-oriented, innovative First Year Experience Librarian to support a dynamic library system with a strong outreach and instruction program. This is a full-time, 12-month tenure track faculty position. The desired start date is August 1, 2015. The rank and annual salary is negotiable based on qualifications. This position includes full benefits.
- The First Year Experience Librarian will coordinate the first year instruction program for the University Libraries and provide information literacy instruction to undergraduates in a variety of disciplines. The successful candidate will have a passion for teaching and be excited about providing instruction to lower-division undergraduates.
- The First Year Experience Librarian will serve as the liaison to the University College and Honors College, as well the Writing Across the Curriculum, First Year Learning Communities, Transition Communities and Orientation programs.
- The successful candidate must be an engaged, innovative, and service-oriented individual ready to join a dynamic collaborative team of service oriented information professionals.
- Successful candidates may teach credit courses for the UL&LS’s Organization, Information & Learning Sciences Program.
The First Year Experience Librarian will keep current with emerging information and instructional technologies, facilitating new uses of research, and e-scholarship and digital tools. They will establish and maintain strong relationships with colleagues and researchers and employ communication, organization, analytic, and problem-solving skills.
They will work to meet research and service requirements for tenure and will participate in faculty governance as detailed in the UNM Faculty Handbook. Working some evenings and weekends is required.
The UL&LS integrates the UNM values of Excellence, Access with Support to Succeed, Integrity, Diversity, Respectful Relationships, Freedom and Sustainability into all we do. The UL&LS adds to UNM’s values: Service, Trust, Collaboration and Accountability.
Education and Experience
- An earned master’s degree from an ALA-accredited library/information sciences program or equivalent by the start date.
- Two years of teaching experience in an academic library.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with information literacy concepts and trends (e.g., the ACRL Framework for Information Literacy and curriculum mapping).
- Experience or demonstrated interest in conducting outreach and engagement efforts with students and campus partners.
- Experience in instruction in face-to-face and online environments, including the design of instructional materials and activities, as well as presentation techniques and skills.
- Experience or demonstrated interest in working with faculty and students to support their research and instructional endeavors.
- Demonstrated proficiency with contemporary and emerging information technologies such as web authoring tools and technologies, social media, digital learning objects, screencasting, and LibGuides.
- Demonstrated problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills as well as strong service orientation.
- The ability to adjust to and accommodate changing demands with Libraries, Research Universities, and the profession.
- Commitment to fostering diversity and interest in working with a multicultural and international University community.
- Coordinates the first year instruction program for the University Libraries.
- Assesses the impact of first year instruction programs.
- Designs shared instructional materials in various formats — including online tutorials, in-class activities, user guides and training materials — working closely with other librarians.
- Builds relationships with faculty and students to support their research and instructional endeavors.
- Markets library services to assigned liaison areas and to the University community.
- Provides reference services.
- Participates in UL&LS faculty governance and in library management as required.
- Meets scholarship and service requirements for tenure as detailed in the UNM Faculty Handbook.
- Contributes to UL&LS initiatives that further UNM’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- May provide effective and timely supervision of assigned employees including all required training, career development, and performance reviews.
The University of New Mexico is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the Greater Western Library Alliance, and the New Mexico Consortium of Academic Libraries, and leads the LIBROS Consortium of seventeen academic libraries in New Mexico. UL&LS contains over 3 million volumes and includes four branch libraries: Centennial Science and Engineering Library; Fine Arts & Design Library; Parish Memorial Library (management and social sciences); and Zimmerman Library (education and humanities). Zimmerman Library also houses the Center for Southwest Research and Special Collections and a Regional Federal Depository Library Program library. The UL&LS grants bachelor, master, and doctoral degrees in its Organization, Information & Learning Sciences (OILS) Program. The OILS Program prepares professionals to help individuals, groups, and organizations to learn in more effective ways. The UL&LS is a degree-granting college. UNM is a Tier I Research Institution and a Hispanic-Serving Institution.
Applicants must apply online. Visit the UNMJobs website at http://unmjobs.unm.edu/ Search for position # 0829432.
Please prepare the following documents: CV, Cover Letter addressing each Minimum and Preferred Qualification, a list of three professional references including email and phone contact information. Questions: please contact Linda Skye, Search Coordinator, at Lskye@unm.edu
Deadline: The search will remain open until the position is filled. For best consideration, complete applications must be received through the UNMJobs website no later than May 8, 2015.
The University of New Mexico is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Educator.