Recruitment Announcement # 2016-018
POSITION TITLE Library Services Director
SALARY RANGE: $24.93- 44.43
DEPARTMENT Community Services
FLSA/UNION STATUS: Exempt/ Nonunion
PERIOD TO APPLY: 7/21/15-7/27/15 (NO LATER THAN 5:00 P.M.)
POSITION STATUS: Classified/ Full-Time
SUPERVISOR: Patricia Hodapp
LOCATION: Main Library
Manages library services of the Main Library, Branch Libraries, or Technical Services. Participates in the planning and evaluation of system-wide policies, procedures and programs. Responsible for overseeing library facilities, budget, databases, personnel and day to day services. In the absence of the Library Division Director, may be asked to be in charge of the library system
Works under the general guidance and direction of Division Director
Provides close to general supervision to staff.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS [A position my not include all of the duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all duties that may be found in a position of this class.]
- Supervises, administers and manages library services and personnel in the specific area of assignment.
- Participates on the management team for library policy development, database integrity, community assessment, program development and evaluation, community outreach, and short and long range planning.
- Conducts performance evaluations for staff; recommends hiring and disciplinary actions; plans, directs and reviews work of staff; communicates regularly with staff; trains staff.
- Sets goals and objectives for staff; schedules assignments; reviews payroll information; interprets and implements City and Library Division policies and procedures; provides staff training.
- Prepares annual budget requests; monitors budget; submits information for orders; solicits staff input on budget needs and consolidates requests as appropriate.
- Negotiates and monitors professional services contracts for the Library System.
Additional essential functions for assignment in the Main Library:
- Oversees Main Library services such as Media, Reference, Circulation, Children’s and supervises staff with system-wide responsibilities such as automation and interlibrary loan.
- Responsible for the Main Library physical facility, its repairs, upkeep, furnishings, equipment, maintenance and building improvements, serving as liaison with other city staff and private vendors involved with the facility.
- Oversees collection development for the Main Library, in collaboration with the Branch Library Services Director.
- Plan and coordinates program development and community outreach such as the Santa Fe Festival of the book in collaboration with Branch Director and acting as liaison to community groups, presenters, publishers, book sellers, and volunteers.
- Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in library science, AND
- Four (4) years of professional library experience, two (2) of which must have been in a supervisory capacity, OR
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Extensive knowledge of library tasks and operations, resources and research methods. Knowledge of professional library practices and trends. Knowledge of the principles and applications of effective supervisory techniques. Knowledge of the tools and practical applications of acquisitions and bibliographic control. Knowledge of library automation systems and electronic resources. Knowledge of community needs and interests, and the ability to work effectively with the public. Must have knowledge of personal computers and other office equipment.
Strong organizational skills, and in communications, both orally and written.
Analytical ability, and ability to work both cooperatively and independently Ability to present information clearly, concisely, orally and in writing; to establish effective working relationships with associates and the public.
- Special Qualifications:
- Work Environment:
Work is performed in a library setting with moderate noise; physical demands of the position includes standing, walking, sitting, carrying, pulling, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, and handling. Must be able to hear, speak, and have a good visual acuity including close, distance, peripheral, depth and color vision. Evening and/or weekend work may be required. May be required to respond to emergency calls.
The City of Santa Fe is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the American’s with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
VETERAN’S HIRING INITIATIVE
Pursuant to City of Santa Fe Resolution No. 2013-079, the City of Santa Fe Human Resources Department (HRD) has implemented a Veterans’ Hiring Initiative policy in order to provide opportunities for veterans who meet or exceed the minimum qualifications for city employment to obtain City employment. The Governing Body does not guarantee that a veteran shall be hired for the position being applied for, only that the veteran will be given an interview; and, it does not intend to supersede or modify any collective bargaining agreement that is currently in place with the City of Santa Fe.Job applicants who are veterans who have an honorable discharge from the military or are members of the National Guard or Reserve who have successfully completed basic training, must use the Veteran Certification Form to identify themselves and then must attach a copy of their DD214 or DD215 and/or their proof of current Active, Guard or Reserve enlistment in order to certify their status.
TO APPLY: Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the city application form. Submit City of Santa Fe Application by one of the following methods: Fill out application at Human Resources Department, City Hall, 200 Lincoln Avenue, Santa Fe, NM; mail application to P.O. Box 909, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-0909; or fax application to (505) 955-6810. Applications may be downloaded from our website: www.santafenm.gov; or apply online at www.santafenm.gov. Applications become public record upon receipt and may be made available for public inspection upon request.
When required of the position, attach a copy of certification(s) or license(s). Copies of high school diploma/GED & college degree must be provided at time of interview. Pre-placement physical exams are required for some positions. Incomplete applications may delay or exclude consideration of your application.