The Shuter Library of Angel Fire NM seeks a community-oriented, energetic and innovative library professional or business-experienced manager to run a small public library in a northern New Mexico resort community. Experience in staff supervision, collection development, information technologies, business management preferred. Experience in bookstore operation, website design and reference services a plus. Contact Scott Jones, Shuter Library, Angel Fire, New Mexico, 575 377 6223, firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Summary: Library Director – responsible for Librarian and Business Manager functions to operate and improve a small public library (10,000 books, 3,000 eBooks, 2 PTE, volunteers) in northern New Mexico.
Time Commitment: 33 hours per week, timing flexible.
Essential Job Functions:
- Use up-to-date knowledge of managerial practices and library competencies to direct library operations
- Manage (with Treasurer) full annual business cycle
- Supervise operations and employees
- Raise funds through grants and service contracts
- Establish personal relationships with customers and key local organizations
- Plan, organize and manage the services of the Library
- Study and develop plans to improve library services to meet present and future community needs
- Advise, consult and confer with Library board and key organizations (e.g., New Mexico State Library)
- Supervise and develop procedures, policies and public information
- Recruit, select and train personnel, and evaluate performance
- Collection Development
- Coordinate and oversee Library programs such as Book Clubs, Adult and Children’s Programming, some community outreach
- Supervise record keeping and report preparation
- Prepare and submit grant applications to foundations, other charitable organizations and governmental bodies
- Supervise front-desk activities and volunteers
- Manage invoices and payment, payroll, taxes, insurance
- Prepare (with Treasurer) and present budget to Board, operate within budget
- Manage onsite vendors, physical plant
- Reporting for Annual Report (NM State Library), Village of Angel Fire (fiscal agent reporting), NM State Grants in Aid, General Obligation Bond, contract services (Colfax County, Village of Angel Fire, Association of Angel Fire Property Owners)
- Manage service contracts
- Administer or supervise website, IT network and software infrastructure
Special Working Conditions
Duties are performed indoors in office environment. Duties require extended periods of standing, walking, sitting and talking/hearing. Duties require occasional periods of climbing or balancing, pulling/pushing items, lifting/carrying items, keyboarding, using a mouse, reaching with hands and arms, stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling. Weights up to 50 pounds are encountered. Vision requirements include close vision and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to do math at the algebraic level. Must be able to handle complex interpretation of reading materials and verbal instructions. Hazards are considered minor and controllable, but may include exposure to human error, angry/hostile humans and human mental illness/disorientation. Noise levels are moderate. Must hold or obtain a legitimate driver’s license and must be able to transport oneself to work, work-related meetings, workshops, conferences.
Must pass a background check
- Bachelor’s degree in Library Sciences or a related field. Preferred: MLS/MLIS from a library program accredited by the American Library Association.
- Experience in a Library-related field (1-3 years, not excluding internships). 1-3 years in Library operations preferred. 1-3 years in Bookstore operations acceptable.
- Business and managerial experience (1- 3 years). Experience in accounting, payroll and taxes preferred.
- Technical expertise in websites, networks, library systems is a plus.
- English is required. Spanish is a plus.
Salary Range: $24,000 to $30,000 ($14 to $17.50 per hour) based on experience. 66 hours of paid vacation per year.
Terms of Employment:
First Year: Employment At Will
Second Year: Permanent Employment
Deadline for Application:
July 1 to August 15.