Job posting here
THE VILLAGE OF RUIDOSO HAS AN OPENING FOR A FULL TIME LIBRARY ASSISTANT
Library Assistants perform responsible, paraprofessional, library work. The work involves oversight of library circulation services, answering reference queries, and providing programs for all ages. Work is performed within the policies established by the Village of Ruidoso. This is a full-time position that will regularly work 40 hours per week; however extended hours may be required, including some weekend work. This position must be able to adapt to flexible work schedule as established by the Library Director. This position is a non exempt, works under the supervision of the Library Director.
Job Title Summary
Library Assistant provides excellent customer service, assists library patrons, maintains automated patron and databases, and processes library materials. Position involves competing demands, performing multiple tasks, working to deadlines, occasional work beyond normal business hours, and responding to customer issues.
Essential Job Functions
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position
- Checks in/out books, places holds, reserves books, assists patrons with accessing their online accounts, issues library cards, and collects library fines. Sorts and shelves books.
- Balances cash drawer, petty cash, and submits paperwork to the Director.
- Answers routine reference queries, processes interlibrary loans, answers telephone,
- Assists customers with public computers, copiers, and microfiche machines.
- Plans, promotes, executes, and evaluates library programs. These programs include but are not limited to: Brown Bag Lunch, Summer Reading Program, Preschool Story Hour, and special events.
- Using professional reviews and following the Library’s Materials Selection Policy, recommends library materials for the collection.
- Ensures excellent customer service.
- Compliance with State of New Mexico Library Laws and Regulations, and the American Library Association’s Statements.
- Works with other library staff to create an environment within the Library that encourages learning, reading, and use of the library.
- Creates, generates, and distributes, a monthly newsletter, press releases, bulletin boards, promotional, and seasonal displays.
- Must be able to establish and maintain professional and courteous working relationships with children, parents, co-workers, supervisors, and other Village personnel.
- Adheres to safety practices and standards, attends safety meetings and trainings.
Works with many computer programs including library.solution, Microsoft Office Software, and proprietary databases.
- Liaisons with the Art Council, Ruidoso School District, and other community organizations.
Other Responsibilities or Job Requirements
- Completes personal timesheet accurately and timely. Ensures time is reported based on actual time worked
- Must maintain knowledge of library computer software, Microsoft Office, and web posting.
- Reports any suspected fraud and/or abuse to the Director, Village Manager or Deputy Village Managers
- Ensures that any on-the job injury is reported immediately to Supervisor and Director.
- Ensures any reports of harassment are immediately reported so appropriate actions are taken.
- Must exercise good judgment, courtesy, and tact when dealing with customers in person and by telephone, and with proper disposition of problems.
- Must maintain professional level writing skills.
- Must be able to understand and follow procedures and guidelines.
- The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job.
Employees may perform other related duties and special projects as assigned.
- Graduation from a standard senior or vocational high school, or equivalent required. Supplemented with college level computer, clerical, business English, children’s literature, and, or, library training preferred.
- Previous library work with computerized information systems, children, customer service, and clerical work is preferred.
- Must be able to obtain Grade I New Mexico Librarian’s Certification within one year of hire date
- Current knowledge of Library practices within the last five years preferred.
- Experience working with the public preferred.
- Excellent Computer and database skills required.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills required
- Knowledge of Dewey Decimal System of classification.
- Ability to balance a variety of duties, prioritize, and meet deadlines
- Possess demonstrated ability of personal and network computer operations within a Windows Microsoft environment, including Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and the web
- Knowledge of both non-computerized and computerized library practices, procedures and applications including the Dewey Decimal System of classification
- Knowledge of the policies, practices, and procedures of the Ruidoso Municipal Library, the Library Bill of Rights, and the Village of Ruidoso
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding patron information, employees and departmental functions
- Ability to exercise good judgment, courtesy and tact when dealing with customers in person and by telephone, and with proper disposition of problems
- Ability to utilize standard office equipment including computer, printer, telephone, fax machine, microfilm, lamination machine, copiers, and scanner
- Ability to understand and follow procedures and guidelines
- Must be able to pass regular criminal history checks
- Must be willing to take and pass a drug/alcohol test and comply with agency “Drug Free” Policy.
- Must possess and maintain valid New Mexico motor vehicle operator’s permit of appropriate classification and endorsement as required. Must agree to maintain a satisfactory MVR and minimum requirement of insurability as required by law. MVR background checks will be conducted by the Village.
- Ability to maintain physical condition and stamina appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include sitting, standing, or walking for extended periods of time, driving, riding in vehicles.
- The usual requirements require the ability to stand for three hours at a time, lift up to 25 lbs., and push a loaded book truck weighing 120 lbs.
- Work may require lifting boxes of supplies, equipment and occasional adjustment of office furniture.
- Position requires frequent bending, reaching, squatting, and lifting. The employee may occasionally work in moderately high places.
- Specific hearing abilities required by this job include computer pings and public conversation.
Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- May work weekends and evenings
- Ability to drive, occasionally long distances.
- May work a fairly irregular schedule, long hours, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to perform duties and adapt to flexible work schedules as established by management.
- May be called when needed.
- Ability to work in stressful environment and deal effectively with stress.
- The noise level in the work environment is normally quiet to moderate pitch.
Limited travel – ability to travel for activities such as classes, and workshops in and out of the service area.
SALARY IS $11.26 HOURLY. AN OFFICIAL VILLAGE OF RUIDOSO APPLICATION MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE HUMAN RESOURCE DEPARTMENT OF THE VILLAGE OF RUIDOSO, 313 CREE MEADOWS DR., RUIDOSO, NM 88345. RÉSUMÉS WILL BE ACCEPTED BUT ONLY WITH AN APPLICATION. APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL 5:00PM ON MONDAY, FEBRUARY 29, 2016. ALL PERSONS OFFERED ANY JOB WITH THE VILLAGE OF RUIDOSO SHALL BE DRUG/ALCOHOL SCREENED. REFUSAL TO SUBMIT TO A DRUG/ALCOHOL SCREEN WILL BE DEEMED AS A WITHDRAWAL OF APPLICATION BY THE APPLICANT.