More information and application information can be found here.
This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions (as covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act) expected of an incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of an incumbent. An incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.
Job Title: Library Manager Class Code: D032
Pay Grade: UE54 Effective Date: July 2007
FLSA: Exempt Revision Date: July 2017
NATURE OF WORK
Plans, coordinates and manages the operations, programs and services of a designated Library unit and staff in accordance with Library goals and objectives; manages and trains staff to provide effective customer service; performs senior-level librarian duties as required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Plans, prioritizes and assigns the daily operational activities and projects of assigned unit to ensure
compliance with goals and objectives of library services; trains and coaches staff; monitors work, develops staff skills, and evaluates performance; monitors operations and assures that library staff activities are in compliance with all City regulations, policies and safety standards; monitors workflow and the quality of services provided.
• Assures the provision of quality library services, resources, materials and equipment; manages and
coordinates City library collections, systems, technology, and services; manages and coordinates with staff regarding the development and implementation of library programs and services to meet the needs of the community;
• Develops and improves library collections, materials, services, and technology; manages library
collections through selection, regular weeding, and replacement; performs original cataloging and
classification of special materials.
• Provides customer service to library patrons; responds to inquiries and requests for information; explains City programs, procedures and services to citizens and clients; resolves customer service issues and patron complaints; interprets and explains library policies, procedures, rules and regulations to staff and patrons.
• Prepares and reviews statistical and analytical reports of library activities, operations and procedures; gathers and compiles data for reports; updates policies and training programs, and assures compliance with policies and procedures; performs special research and program development projects as assigned; develops and manages special public relations and marketing projects; serves as library spokesperson for special programs.
• Analyzes circulation operations and service delivery issues, and recommends solutions; evaluates existing programs for effectiveness and recommends new programs or program changes; provides information and interpretation concerning library services, policies and procedures; assists in the development of budget and manages expenditures and monitors budgets.
• Performs a variety of circulation, reference, readers advisory, and/or youth services functions; provides assistance and instruction to library patrons regarding the use of library equipment, computers, databases, catalogs, and the internet.
• Represents the library within the community; attends and participates in a variety of professional, civic, committee, and/or board meetings.
• Maintains expertise in field of service through participation in applicable educational opportunities.
Masters Degree in Library Science and five years experience in a public library environment, including supervisory or lead experience; OR a combination of education, experience, and training may be applied in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Knowledge of: Principles and practices of public library administration; principles and practices of administrative management, including personnel rules, budgeting, strategic planning and effective employee supervision; techniques and practices for efficient and cost effective management of resources; methods and procedures for developing and maintaining library collections; policies, rules and regulations governing the conduct and safety of library programs and facilities; library classification, cataloging, and acquisition protocols; techniques and protocols for researching a wide variety of online bibliographic databases; business and personal computers, and specialized software applications; City policies and procedures.
Ability to: Define problems and make logical conclusions based on facts; assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects and demands; communicate effectively in verbal and written forms; establish and maintain effective working relations with co-workers and customers
Skills in: Managing staff and delegating tasks and authority; evaluating and determining community needs for library services; developing and managing library programs and activities; using initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines; planning, organizing, and coordinating the work of professional, technical and clerical personnel; utilizing and maintaining automated library systems and computer equipment; library database research & maintenance; identifying library collection issues and developing suggestions for enhancements; working with several disparate computer database systems; providing customer services to and interacting with people of different social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds; recognizing and resolving conflicts in library data entry; organizing workload to keep pace with flow of library materials.
Work is performed in a library & office setting.
Light physical demands; mostly desk work; some lifting of heavy books and materials. Frequent use of a personal computer.
Work Situation Factors
Position involves competing demands, performing multiple tasks, working to deadlines, occasional work beyond normal business hours, and responding to customer issues. Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity of services. Position is subject to drug testing in accordance with applicable State and Federal regulations and City of Las Cruces policy.