To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Title: Library Director
Reports Directly to: Chair, Placitas Community Library Board
Responsibilities: Reporting to the Chair of the Board of Directors, the Library Director will have overall operational responsibility for Placitas Community Library’s (PCL) volunteers, programs, communications and execution of its mission.
The Director is responsible for all aspects of library operations and functions. These duties include:
- Leading and supervising volunteers and staff
- Developing the annual library budget for presentation to the Board of Directors
- Managing the library budget
- Managing programs and services in accordance with PCL strategic goals
- Proposing new library projects, services and policies where appropriate
- Providing leadership for the continuous improvement of PCL services to the
- Managing communications with the community
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science from a library school accredited by the American Library Association and a minimum of 5 years of recent experience in library administration, or equivalent experience in a related field.
- Excellent leadership, verbal and written communication, interpersonal and technology skills.
- Ability to work effectively with the PCL Board, elected officials and other community groups.
- Ability to supervise and motivate library staff and
- Ability to work in a dynamic library environment including working with the public.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Board Relations.
1. Reports directly to the Chair of the Board, which has the legal responsibility for governing the library.
2. Attends all Library Board meetings except when officially excused by the Chair of that body.
3. Prepare regular monthly reports and otherwise apprise the Board via email sent to directly to the Chair, or phone call if urgent, of all activities, events, problems and concerns, or of significant public relations issues of the Library.
4. Formulate and recommend policies for Board approval, and implement the same.
5. Develop the library budget with assistance from the Board Treasurer and manage the library’s money.
1. Continually evaluate the effectiveness of library services in relation to changing needs of the community and develop plans to meet those needs.
2. Evaluate future needs for library services and resources to meet those needs
3. Participate in long-range plans for the library.
1. Prepare, with the assistance of the Board Treasurer, a draft annual budget for Board consideration and adoption.
2. Make and/or supervise the expenditure of library funds.
3. Prepare monthly and yearly financial reports on state and county funds.
- Human Relations.
1. Supervise, all aspects of personnel management, with the assistance of the Help Desk Coordinator.
2. Supervise the training of all staff and volunteers.
3. Promote employee morale, work satisfaction and general staff/volunteer welfare.
4. Serve as the Management Team chair.
5. Facilitate the work of the library’s coordinators and those responsible for areas of activity or service.
- Public and Patron Relations
1. Advocate for and promote the library. Work with employees, library board, volunteers and library users as well as educational, and community literacy organizations.
2. Establish effective communications through news releases, e-mail or print newsletters, blogs, websites, etc.
3. Represent the library at and speak before community, civic and other groups regarding the objectives and activities of the library.
4. Effectively address patron complaints and public criticism of the library.
5. Respond to the unique needs of the community as its demography dictates.
6. Provide required reporting to the State Library and maintain good working relationship with the State Library.
- Physical Facilities
1. Supervise housekeeping, maintenance and repair of building and grounds. These responsibilities are accomplished with the assistance of the Building Committee and the County Facility Maintenance department.
- Professional Development.
1. Keep current in library trends. This includes, but is not limited to, participation in professional and other meetings as appropriate, membership in state and national library organizations and networking with other libraries.
2. Pursue other professional training that would enhance job performance.
I understand and accept all the duties as described in this job description for the position of Library Director. I also understand that my level of compensation will be adjusted in accordance with the level of performance achieved on all stated duties, and any other projects that may be assigned to me at the discretion of the Chair and Library Board.