This vacancy was created because the current Library Director, Tueredia McBride, is retiring after 25 years of City employment, 17 of which she spent as Director. Reporting to the City Manager, the Director supervises a staff of four. The Director plans, directs, manages, and oversees the activities and operations of the department. For the 2016-2017 fiscal year, the department has a $368,013 operating budget.
Other responsibilities include:
• Manage the development and implementation of Departmental goals, objectives, policies and priorities.
• Establish, within City policy, appropriate service and staffing levels; monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; allocate resources accordingly.
• Assess and mo nitor work load, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships; identify opportunities for improvement; direct and implement changes.
•Select, train, motivate and evaluate assigned personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline and termination procedures.
•Oversee and participate in the development and administration of the Department budget; approve the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; approve expenditures and implement budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary.
•Represent the Library Department to other departments, elected officials and outside agencies; coordinate assigned activities with those of other departments and outside agencies and organizations.
• Provide staff assistance to the City Manager; participate on a variety of boards, commissions
and committees; prepare and present staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
• Attend and participate in professional group meetings; stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of public works.
• Respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
• Provide strategic planning for the library.
•Develop new programs for youth and adults with a comprehensive marketing plan.
The Ideal Candidate
The City of Lovington is seeking a dynamic, outgoing, and visionary leader who is passionate about public libraries and dedicated to public service. We are also seeking an individual who is dedicated to continuous improvement and taking the library to the next level of service based on customer demands. The successful candidate will be highly professional and possess excellent oral and
written communication skills. The selected individual will be an innovative problem solver and
consensus builder who will analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, and implement recommendations in support of goals. It is essential that the new Director have the ability to respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints. The new Library Director will be skilled at blending traditional and leading edge library services and have the ability to meet the demands of a rapidly changing, high-tech, digital environment. The Director must be customer
service oriented and enjoy working in a diverse multicultural environment. In addition, the Director shall be comfortable exercising independent judgment and have a collaborative management style with the ability to motivate and engage Library personnel.
Experience & Education
Post secondary course work in a related field is preferred. Bilingual skills in English and Spanish language is preferred. Three years direct work experience is required. Management and administrative experience is strongly preferred. Must be able to work odd hours or overtime on occasion, including nights, weekends, and holidays. The Director must be computer proficient and possess a New Mexico Librarians Certificate Grade II, or obtain it within the first year of employment.
Compensation & Benefits
• Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
• 10 Days Annual Vacation Leave
• 9 Paid Holidays, Plus 2 Floating Holidays
• 8 Hours Sick Leave Per Month
• Life Insurance Coverage
•New Mexico PERA Retirement
The City of Lovington is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Prospective candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and at least three professional references. Electronic submissions are encouraged. This position is open until filled with a first review of applications on January 9, 2017.
City of Lovington
City of Lovington
Attn: James Williams
P. O. B ox 1 2 6 8
Lovington, NM 88260