Library Branch/Unit Manager E16
Salary $50,107.20 – $59,737.60 Annually
Location Albuquerque, NM
Job Type Full Time
Department Cultural Services
Job Number 1800604
Closing 6/13/2018 11:59 PM Mountain
Direct, manage, supervise and participate in the work of staff responsible for providing a wide variety of services to the library patrons within one or more library facilities or units including the planning and directing of support services; supervise the activities and operations of those engaged in maintaining the collection and distribution; recommend the purchase of reference materials and coordinate exhibits and displays; coordinate assigned activities with other divisions and outside agencies and provide highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Assistant Library Director.
Job descriptions are intended to present a general list of tasks/duties performed by employees within this job classification. Job Descriptions are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Minimum Education, Experience and Additional Requirements
Master’s degree with major course work in library or information science from an American Library Association (ALA) certified institution, plus three (3) years of professional/managerial acquisition, cataloging and/or patron services experience in an academic, public, or special library to include two (2) years of direct supervisory experience.
Possession of a valid Driver’s License, or the ability to obtain by date of hire.
Possession of a City Operator’s Permit (COP) within 6 months from date of hire.
- Principles and practices of library management, program development and administration
- Operational characteristics, services and activities and cataloging services program
- Principles and practices of effective and efficient patron services
- Principles and practices of book collection, replacement and de-selection
- Local, regional and national information resources and retrieval systems
- Principles and practices of an integrated library system (ILS)
- Principles and practices of library circulation, reference, adult services and children’s programs
- Principles and practices of supervision, training, performance evaluation and selection of staff
- Principles and practices of municipal budget preparation and administration
- Principles of business letter writing and basic report preparation
- Principles and practices of modern computer operations
- Pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations
Preferred Skills & Abilities
- Oversee and participate in the management of the operations, services and activities of a library branch or unit
- Plan, direct, evaluate and coordinate the work of lower level staff
- Select, supervise, train and evaluate staff
- Oversee the implementation of support services
- Participate in the development and administration of goals, objectives and procedures
- Interpret, explain and enforce City policies pertaining to library operation and function
- Operate a variety of library and office equipment in a safe and effective manner
- Perform analysis of patron service operations and recommend modifications, analyze problems and identify alternative solutions
- Plan and prepare future library services
- Prepare and administer facility or unit budget
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Prepare clear and concise administrative and financial reports
- Respond to requests and inquiries from department personnel
- Work independently in the absence of supervision
- Maintain the confidentiality of the information received
- Communicate clearly and concisely
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation
Agency City of Albuquerque
Address 400 Marquette N.W.
Albuquerque, New Mexico, 87103
Phone 505 768-3700