LIBRARY ASSISTANT/CHILDREN’S SERVICES LIBRARIAN
Nature of Work:
Under the general direction of the Library Director. This employee performs clerical and non-professional tasks involving standard library routines which are learned on the job. This employee performs professional and supervisory work in planning, managing, implementing and executing a comprehensive program of library serves to children.
- Checks out library materials to the public; checks in returned items, and collects overdue fines or charges as needed.
- Assists patrons in the selection and location of books and non-print materials. Knows the overall scheme of the Dewy system at least at the “hundreds” level.
- Prepares books and other items for circulation by attaching jackets and labels.
- Maintains schedule of shelf reading of appointed shelf sections.
- Sends first overdue notice to patrons within the prescribed number of days after material is due.
- Mends damaged books, videos, and other items as needed.
- Answers telephone and refers calls as necessary.
- Types inter-library loan forms and mails to other libraries.
- Selects materials for the juvenile fiction and non-fiction collections.
- Transmits list of selections to the Librarian for ordering.
- Weeds collection of children’s books or other items which are no longer appropriate to the library because of age, condition, community interest or obsolescence.
- Assists children and their parents in the location of print and non-print material for school assignments and recreational reading.
- Provides assistance to children and adults with instruction in the use of the catalog and other information resources such as the Internet.
- Plans and executes children’s programs including Summer Reading Program, story hour, reading contests, etc.
- Visits schools to inform children of library services and programs and to promote registration.
- makes contact with and cooperates with school librarians and teachers to promote optimum resource use.
- Assists in monitoring the behavior and conduct of juvenile library patrons.
- Interprets library rules and policies.
- Assists in the acquisition, cataloging, classification and processing of books and audiovisual materials.
- Contributes as needed to the preparation of the annual budget.
Abilities, Skills and Knowledge:
Aptitude for clerical and detail work; good communication skills with both adults and children. Knowledge of children’s books and non-print materials; knowledge of book classification and arrangement; knowledge of cataloging; knowledge of library rules and regulation; knowledge of reference resources e.g., encyclopedias, almanacs etc.
Ability to express oneself effectively and concisely, orally and in writing; ability to maintain effective working relationships with others; ability to interpret library resources and services to the public and general community.
Ability to understand and follow oral and written instruction; ability to keep records and prepare reports.
For application information contact the library at 575-374-9423