For more information and to apply, click here.
Librarian Senior (Marketing and Outreach)
- Nature of Work
Plans, develops, coordinates, promotes, presents and supervises various library programs and services to meet needs of patron; performs professional library work involving reference assistance, reader’s advisory and collection development; may oversee the work of assigned staff.
Position involves competing demands, performing multiple tasks, working to deadlines, occasional work beyond normal business hours, and responding to customer issues. Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity of services. Position is subject to drug testing in accordance with applicable State and Federal regulations and City of Las Cruces policies.
Work is performed in a library & office setting. Light physical demands; mostly desk work; some lifting of heavy books and materials. Frequent use of a personal computer.
Meeting or exceeding the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an invitation to participate in the process.
FIRST CONSIDERATION MAY BE GIVEN TO CURRENT CITY OF LAS CRUCES EMPLOYEES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS.
Senior Librarian is the senior-level position in the series. Employees at this level have a thorough knowledge of City Library programs and policies and have the technical expertise to develop, implement and oversee a specialized Library program.
Full-time regular, exempt position.
This position is graded RX16.
- Duties and Responsibilities
- Selects, procures, organizes, and makes available data, information, and creative and scholarly works; provides services that assist and instruct people in the most efficient and effective ways to identify, locate, access, and use public information and resources; provides information and interpretation concerning library services, policies and procedures.
- Plans, develops, coordinates, promotes, presents and supervises various library programs and services to meet the needs of the community; conducts outreach programs, speaks to community groups and schools, and develops and distributes marketing materials to promote the City Library and programs.
- Manages and coordinates collection development; reviews various sources and lists of library books & materials available, evaluates options, selects materials to meet the needs of the community, and recommends additions to the collection; reviews and evaluates current collection and recommends the removal of books and other resources that are no longer appropriate for the collection; manages expenditures and budget.
- Performs library reference and research services using specialized bibliographic databases, Internet services and Inter-library loan resources; organizes reference services activities; analyzes and responds to difficult reference inquiries.
- Circulates materials and coordinates patron services; processes book requests; researches multiple databases to determine availability of items and correct source of borrowing; administers checking in and out procedures for Library materials; authorizes and initiates book renewals; creates new patron records; provides daily supervision and training for pages, volunteers and community service workers.
- Oversees, trains, and monitors the performance of assigned personnel; prepares schedules and assigns work activities to staff and volunteers; prepares and processes a variety of departmental reports including operational and statistical reports.
- Oversees library security and assures patrons comply with policies and procedures; performs special research and program development projects as assigned.
- Maintains expertise in field of service through participation in applicable educational opportunities.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Masters Degree in Library Science and three years experience in a public library environment. A combination of education, experience, and training may be applied in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of: Principles and practices of public library administration; methods and procedures for developing and maintaining library collections; policies, rules and regulations governing the conduct and safety of library programs and facilities; library classification, cataloging, and acquisition protocols; techniques and protocols for researching a wide variety of online bibliographic databases; business and personal computers, and specialized software applications; City municipal code, policies and procedures.
Ability to: Assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects and demands; communicate effectively in verbal and written forms; establish and maintain effective working relations with co-workers and customers
Skills in: Performing a wide variety of technical library support functions; developing, coordinating and conducting library programs and activities; utilizing and maintaining automated library systems and computer equipment; library database research & maintenance; identifying library collection issues and developing suggestions for enhancements; working with several disparate computer database systems; providing customer services to and interacting with people of different social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds; recognizing and resolving conflicts in library data entry; organizing workload to keep pace with flow of library materials.
- City of Las Cruces
P.O. Box 20000
Las Cruces, New Mexico, 88004