For more information and to apply, click here.
CITY OF ROSWELL
Equal Opportunity Employer
Roswell Public Library
Children’s and Youth Librarian
|Date Closed:||9 AM to 6 PM Tuesday-Saturday||Exempt, Salary||Regular Full Time||44|
SUMMARY: Under the supervision of the Library Director is responsible for programming, reference and information service. Recommends items for purchase for the youth collection. The position is a member of a programming team and youth services team. Assists with program planning and implementation for youth. Serves a Librarian in change as scheduled.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: — Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below; reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assists with planning, and implementation of learning programs for youth.
- Coordinates with library staff, city departments and/or other agencies to plan, provide and implement library programs, special events, and intergenerational and inclusive programming.
- Participated in a team to plan and provide general/family library programing for select months.
- Seeks and promotes engagement with community agencies and organizations.
- Regularly provides direct service to patrons at the youth reference desk and back up to the main library reference desk.
- Recommend library website updates to Supervisor.
- Assists with the creation of pathfinders, reading lists, displays, exhibits and bulletin boards with Supervisor
- Recommends materials to be added or withdrawn for the young adult area and children’s area.
- Serves as Librarian in Charge as scheduled.
- Serves as the Library representative on various committees and workgroups.
- Communicates effectively with staff and the public. Maintains effective public relations.
- Contributes to the Youth Services by suggesting areas of improvement, innovation and training
- Understands Library policies and procedures and can apply them to library operations.
- Maintains harmonious, courteous and understanding relationships, while fostering a collaborative teamwork environment in the Library.
- Submits monthly library division reports to Supervisor.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Roswell and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Applies Roswell Public Library polices and procedures.
- Applies City of Roswell policies and procedures.
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines:
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited school
- 0-3 years of experience in a public library OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- City policies and procedures.
- Regulations and standards governing public library operations.
- Public library programs, policies, and procedures.
- Child and Youth Development.
- Reference and reading advisory, resources and practices.
- Collection development and management.
- Basic computer functions.
- Safety rules and regulations, occupational hazards, and safety precautions in public facilities.
- Delivering quality library programs and services to the community.
- Selection and maintenance of library collections.
- Applying library research methods and practices
- Interacting with people of different social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Operating a personal computer and specialized software and equipment (for example, printers, facsimile, telephones, mobile devices, iPad, Kindle).
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers and local agencies.
- Effective verbal and written communication.
- Ability to acquire a thorough knowledge of Library activities.
Desirable Special Qualifications:
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Experience with managing library staff or volunteers
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Master’s Degree in Library Science
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed in a standard office and public library environment.
Ability to maintain physical condition and stamina appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include sitting, standing or walking for extended period of time, driving, riding in vehicles.
The usual requirements require the ability to stand for 4 hours at a time, lift up to 25 pounds, and push a loaded book truck weighing up to 120 pounds.
Work may require lifting boxes of supplies, equipment and adjustment of furniture.
Position requires frequent bending, reading squatting and lifting. The employee may occasionally work in moderately high places.
Specific hearing abilities required by this job include computer pings, phone rings, and public conversations.
Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Ability to perform duties and adapt to flexible work schedules as established by management, which may include fairly irregular schedules, long hours, weekends and evenings. May be called when needed.
- Must be able to pass a rigid background investigation including work history, criminal records, driving records and other records deemed necessary.
- Pre-employment drug screen administered by city designated facility.